AHELP would like to thank KING 5 news for their interest in the practice of
animal hospice and the families it serves, like Cat and her beloved dog “Vita”.
TO KNOW about ANIMAL HOSPICE and PET LOSS:
What is HOSPICE CARE? My beloved animal is not ready to die yet…
- It is a particular type of palliative care that we use once guardians and their care team accept that the end is near.
So then you ask, “what is PALLIATIVE CARE?”
- Comfort care that is focused on relief of emotional, spiritual, and physical symptoms in your animal AND your family.
- This approach can be requested from your vet as soon as the diagnosis of a life limiting condition is made or quality of life begins to decline.
- Euthanasia is an important tool in the palliative care toolbox! We encourage guardians to plan an appropriately timed euthanasia to reduce the chance of your questions, “too early” or “too late”.
HOW CAN HOSPICE HELP YOU?
FOR THE GUARDIAN:
- Confidence- that you did what you could do for your animal friend after a life well lived.
- Empowerment- to make the best possible decisions under the advice of a team they trust, and then act on them once the time comes.
- Healthy grief and bereavement- healing from the loss of your special friend.
FOR YOUR ANIMAL:
- Comfort- treatment decisions may be based upon curing the illness but the priority is comfort over pursuit of the cure.
- Dignity and peace- you and your providers are constantly focused on quality of life so that dignity and a peaceful ending is the likely outcome.
Please visit us at:
- Bark 4 Life on Saturday, 6/30, (Issaquah)
- Dogfest on Saturday, 8/11, (Shoreline)
- Bark at Marymoor on Sunday, 8/19, (Redmond)
Please join our community!
- For animal hospice and in-home caregiving information, Email Michelle@AHELPProject.org or ask your questions through our CONTACT US page.
- Sign up at right to “Recieve Newsletters and Updates”
- Come to the Animal Caregiver Support Circle on second Wednesdays at Seattle Veterinary Specialties in Kirkland and second Sundays at Great Dog in Northgate.